Exercising can seem difficult, as it takes time and energy. But it doesn’t have to be a task, and if you get the kids involved it can be some family fun!
Exercising can take as little as 10 minutes, or even in the ads of your favourite TV show!
- Join a team or exercise with a friend. People are more likely to stick to it and not cancel sessions if they know someone else is relying on them. Children often have more fun and are more likely to get involved if their friends are present
- Tune into fitness during TV time. Get up in the adverts and see who can do the most squats or jumping jacks
- Keep reasonable expectations. There’s little point attempting to run a marathon with no training. Build up your exercise gradually and you will see an increase in stamina and strength in no time.
- Don’t get discouraged. Start again gradually and work up to a good pace. Tyr different activities if the usual ones are getting tiresome
- Develop repertoire of several activities that you and children enjoy. This will ensure that it doesn’t feel like a chore and will add fun and variety
- Celebrate success! Every little victory is still a victory, and soon you’ll look back and realise how far you have come.
- Regular schedule for physical activity every day. This could be a walk after dinner or a kick around in the garden after school
- Get the family moving together. Easy and simple and get everyone involved
- Simple things such as gardening, bowling, walking, playing tag, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking a distance away from the shop and walking
- Ask your kids to take charge of the family exercise schedule for a week — and promise that you’ll do whatever they choose. You’ll probably be surprised at the creative ideas they come up with.
Together, we can become healthier and fitter.
School time is a great time for children to get involved in sports and exercise. Steps2Sport provide sporting opportunities to sports. We also run Holiday Courses during the School Holidays to get children active and make new friends. You can book a Holiday Course here.