It’s common knowledge that being active is vital for your health and does wonders to your mind and body. But why is being active so important? Below we share with you some of the many reasons it’s important for children to get active, and keep scrolling for some tips on getting them on their feet and running around!
Benefits of Children Being Active:
- Promotes healthy growth and development
- Builds strong bones and muscles
- Improves posture
- Improves sleep
- Improves concentration, problem solving and thinking skills
- Relieves stress and is vital for mental health
- Assist with development of gross motor skills
- Improves balance and coordination
- Improves confidence and self esteem
- Improves teamwork skills and relationships
- Improves cardiovascular fitness
- Enhances academic performance
- Maintains healthy weight
- Increase leadership skills
- Reduce risk of type 2 diabetes
Ways to Motivate your Child to Be Active
- Choose the right activities for your child’s age - make sure they don’t become bored if activities are too easy, or disheartened if activities are too difficult for them
- Get involved - this will encourage children to be active
- Support and Encourage - if your child has joined a sports club, make sure that you give them all of the support that they will need, this will help them to encourage them
- Give Children the Opportunity to be Active - this could be as simple as asking them if they would like to go to the park or for a walk
- Focus on the Fun - A child is more likely to get involved if they think it is fun.
Getting Active has a variety of benefits and can help your children in more ways than one. A great way to get children involved in sport is through sports clubs After School and in the School Holidays.